Sunday, August 24, 2008

NYC

Aha, so I got into my plane alright and waited there, sitting next to two Venezuelan women that were going to New York for a week. Mortals. In any case, the flight was fine, a was dead scared because of the Madrid thing this week and the fact that I was going to the US -more frighteningly, NYC- from Caracas, Venezuela. There were ike 4 periods of turbulence and even though most people finally felt secure when landing, I couldn't but keep praying: "Please don't crash into anything, now, please don't let anything crash into us" until we stopped and the seat-belt sign went off. Phew.

I got off the plane and then something else was freaking me out: security checks and passport shit. I mean, I must come off as a very insecure person, but what the hell. I was thinking of all the papers I could have forgotten and trying to remember myself putting them into the nice folder I made the day before. I had my admission letter, the financial aid papers, the I-20s, the SEVIS thingy and then my passport with the 5-year visa stamped on it. Right. Right. Right. I got to this guy's desk and he asked me for one white form I had filled before leaving Caracas, at the airport. I handed it out to him, he signed it. He signed my I-20s and scribbled something on them. He said "have a nice day" and that was it. I took my luggage and left. There was another guy before actually getting into the proper security-free airport area who asked me for my passport again. He saw it and let me go. That was it. Hm.

But then I was out there, all alone, looking at all the people waiting for someone that wasn't me. I didn't have time to walk around and feel sad, I had to get a taxi and go to my hosts' place. A friend of my sister has some friends here who are currently hosting me. They left. One of them is working and the other went out for some reason. Anyway, I was told by my mom to get into a yellow cab. But those were small and, honestly, too ugly. There was this Indian young man who cam to me wearing his suit and said "Taxi?" I nodded, and followed him. There was his black van, parked far away from the other taxis. I couldn't see any other similar van around, which made me think it wasn't a company, but a small business. I decided to trust him and get to NYC in his black vehicle. He noticed I was acting weird, because I was absolutely ignoring my mom's first and advice, to "get into nothing else but a yellow cab." So sorry, ma, this guy seemed honest and he worked independently, which most be tough with all the famous yellow cabs just there.

And I don't know whether you are aware of this or not, but family has never been lucky when it comes to taxis and New York City. My dad came and his taxi crashed with a huge truck. My mom came and the driver fell asleep in the highway. Now I came here and I knew I was going to be kidnapped by the seemingly nice Indian guy. I wasn't. But he was very weird. He had juice bottle that I though was for drinking the light red viscous liquid inside, but I've never been so wrong. It was his spit bottle. I saw him taking the bottle to his lips with the back of my eye several times on the way to Manhattan, but I assumed he was drinking. As anyone would have assumed. Yet he was actually spitting in it. Or regurgitating. Or something I don't know and will never find out about. Because it was red. It was tutti-frutty color, actually. Light red, but not pink. Ew.

But I got here safe. Even though everyone I've seen has this I-could-play-the-villain-in-any-action-movie face. I arrived and Mike and Ally were waiting for me at the apartment. They are so awesome. They most think I'm very close to this friend of my sister and they must really like her. Last night we went out to Jack Russell's and had dinner and some drinks, even though I'm 19. Yay me and my oh-so-mature face. I had an awesome hamburger and the biggest buffalo wings I've seen in my life. Cool things that turned out to be a disappointment? The English is great, everyone actually speaks it my speed. But, fuck, they're so much better that me. Dunno how I didn't see that one coming after the London fiasco last year. Then, there's the people as such. I can tell most are backstabbing bloodsucking bitches. But that's ok. I'm sure I'll find decent specimens.

After dinner we came back. I fell asleep, woke up, took a shower, brushed my teeth and here I am. Waiting for my sister's friend to pick me up and walk for a while until I go back to JFK and start, for real, what I came here to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.