Sunday, June 14, 2009

Nosalkin Lab


This picture is on the OIS website. That's Orientation for International Students. I'm a counselor, too. Guess I wasn't invited.

ANYWAY. I got back a week ago. Or a week and a day ago.

I'm used to it. I have a rhythm, a schedule. I wake up every day at 7:00 am. I take two showers a day. I have lunch at the med school with Gabriella. I go to the lab for 7 to 8 hours per day. It's nice and structured.

Though I still haven't gotten a project. Which means I'm still going around the lab wondering what to do with my life most of the time. As in, I'm not totally on my own doing nothing but reading papers on frikkin blood vessels engineered from human cells. I read, yes, but I've done stuff too. I killed rat pubs the other day. Like ten of them. I needed cardiac cells, like, I did it for science. I'm not going to lie, though: it felt really good. As the post-doc was sitting there chopping the off the head of the first 30 pups I was pretty much drooling and wishing she'd say "wanna try?" She did, and I almost jizzed in my pants. The killing didn't feel good, don't take me wrong. I was kind of sad about the poor creatures, dying before they even got to fully open their eyes. But at the same time I felt like, if I were a Sim in the old computer game, my level of knowledge in the field would have been increasing like crazy. That made me happy; I was learning. Tomorrow I'm doing PCR. That should also be fun.

The week's been weird. I'm still not 100% healed, which sucks, and it's everything I can think about. Like, seriously. My life revolves around this issue that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.

But that's old news.

I'm hanging out a lot with Gabriella, and this kid Thomas Howard, who thinks his name is dull. I couldn't disagree more. He's really smart and laughs at my jokes. Gabriella I've known for longer, and she hasn't changed her awesome personality one bit. It's very nice to have people to spend time with. The other day we went to the movies (to see Up) and today we just finished watching Finding Nemo. Conclusion: my best Yale friends (Lauren) are (is) not here. Fine. But I think I can make it. And these people seem to enjoy my company, so I better hang on to them.

As of now, there are just three things that are bothering me, besides the aforementioned never-ending physical nuisance:

1) FedEx is not delivering my camera and I want to take pictures of stuff. Like Lauren's visit this week.
2) Lauren is coming this week and I haven't figured out how to entertain her. And find slash work on a project in the meantime.
3) I still haven't fucking gotten a project in the lab and I'm officially done with my first week. Out of eight.


That's Barry Le Va's work. He's preparing an installation to go up in the YUAG the 14th of July. It reminded me of Angela. The art, not the knives. Maybe the knives -- a little bit.

No comments: