Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer work


Got here (Yale) two nights ago and I'm already getting sick of it. Like, not really, because work per se hasn't really started. I was supposed to meet with my lab mentor today but she wasn't there and won't be until this afternoon. I'm just hanging out in my room. By myself.

I finally got a better explanation of what I'm actually going to be doing this summer, that thing I applied for and got that never fully understood. I'm working at someone's lab. In my case, it's some doctor's who has this technique to produce arteries from stem cells. She's pretty cool, and her technique is too, in spite of one single artery taking around 8 weeks to be done. But anyway.

So, THAT is going to happen from like 9:45 in the morning to 5:00 in the afternoon. More or less, every day of the week. Apparently also some weekends. Before going to the lab I have class, though. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, from 8:30 to 9:30 am. It's a class on how to do research, how to read scientific papers, how to write them and how to give a good scientific presentation. Should be useful, I know, but will be boring for sure. And I'm getting Yale credit for it, which is always good.

As of now, I need to talk to the aforementioned doctor, my mentor, and figure out a project for me to work on for 40 hours each week. I'll have to be a real person about this, though. Like, I have an official lab notebook in which I'm meant to write every. Single. Thing I do. I also have to write a research paper on my project and prepare a presentation for this symposium thing that's going to happen in August, by the end of the program. And that'd be it.

I'm going to be so tired. They're taking us to Six Flags one day, though. And I'm getting paid. If only my ass didn't hurt I'd be close to being happy.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

What bullshit. You are with people every time I talk to you. Stop being so tragic.